The GAO has released a report on government waste due to the overlap in federal programs that a massive bureaucracy creates. In the 283 page report there were countless areas of overlap that could be streamlined and save our country countless dollars. Below are some examples:
- 3 agencies deal with the inspection of Catfish, a streamlining of these agencies could save the Tax Payer up to $14,000,000
- 679 renewable energy initiatives from 23 different government agencies and their 130 sub-agencies cost the Tax Payers an extra $15,000,000,000
- 76 programs from 15 different agencies to prevent and treat drug abuse, cost the Tax Payers an extra $4,500,000
- 159 contracting organizations from 10 different Defense Department components provide defense foreign language support. This duplication costs the tax payers anywhere from $50 to $200 million
- The Broadcasting Board Governors offers 69 different language services, 23 instances of overlap amongst 43 of these services. This overlap accounts for $149,000,000 tax payers dollars, or roughly 20% of the agency’s budget.
There are many more programs included in this list. Yet whenever we talk about cutting government spending, the progressives say we want dirty air, stupid children, and dead seniors. Just in the programs listed above there are $15,199,000,000 in savings. But why is it that none of these cuts are ever considered when the critical subject of federal over spending? Why is it that when we are talking about the spending cuts that we MUST make, the progressives always jump to cut spending in the military, and claim that conservatives only want stupid kids, dirty water, fowled air, and rich business owners? Simple, politics. The progressives in the GOP, such as John McCain, are just as guilty of the same thing. They act as if there is no waste in the military that could be cut, and I am sure that there is. Ultimately though the largest barrier to any real spending cuts, are the progressives in the democrat party. Any cut will result in the death of the “recovery”, and the loss of thousands of jobs. It is easy for them to attack anyone talking about cutting federal spending. The only thing they want to hear are more tax hikes, and that Nancy Pelosi is the new Speaker of the House